Wednesday 1 June 2022

"Women in Namma Metro @ Bangalore"


Life is too short to be stuck in traffic. In this blog I am writing about my recent experience that helped me not only overcome the traffic issue but also made me realize how women are empowered. Here you go..
I joined a new organization during the pandemic last year. I never went to office until recently when I got an e-mail that we were having a client visit and our management was going to be here in Bangalore office and we were also expected to be in office on a certain day. I was excited as I had not seen the office and I would finally meet my colleagues but when you are in Bangalore, commuting to office is a herculean task in itself. We need prior planning. I did some research and decided to take metro.

As I had to reach the office early I quickly finished the daily chores, sent my kid to school, got ready and asked my husband to drop me at the nearest metro station which is like a Km from my home. I waved to my husband and walked to the metro station. I was by myself in a public transport after a long time. I had forgotten how I used to travel alone and was wondering about what I was going to do till I reach my destination which was going to take nearly 45 mins. But I did not realize how the time flew. Read on to know how...

I was greeted with a smile by the lady security guard at the entrance, I felt welcomed. During the security check there was another woman staff who initiated a quick chat. At the ticket counter was another lady, this time I smiled first and asked for the ticket and the information that I needed. She was so helpful and guided me accurately about where I need to alight, where to change the metro line and board the next metro etc. I also happened to notice the cleaning staff for the trains were also ladies.


 
I went and stood in the front line where I saw a board "Entry for ladies only", I felt special and hoped that I would get a seat. I saw the metro arrive and voila! I saw a woman driver operating the train.
I could not be more impressed, and I was already feeling proud of womanhood. 





I was in a metro coach filled with women of all age group and I also got a seat. I was  as I had hoped for. I was glancing around and was observant of my fellow passengers. I could not help but notice the individuality of each woman present there.
There was a lady who was so well dressed, she could directly walk into a hi-fi Hollywood movie. I assumed she could be an HR in a multinational company. Heels, formal skirt and blouse, hair done so well, make up intact, 
she carried herself so well. I was impressed just by the way she had dressed. 
I saw another woman is uniform, a perfect saree with hair tied in a bun. One could easily guess she was a receptionist at a hotel/hospital/office.
It was amazing to see few school kids in uniforms.
I also noticed a Kannada TV serial actress amongst us.
A bunch of college going girls giggling all though the journey, that scene was refreshing, reminded me of my college days and friends.
There were women in skirts, uniforms, burka, salwar kameez, jeans, sarees and what not. All from different part of the city from different backgrounds leaving behind some stories at home with certain goal to achieve for the day just as I had.
Each woman is different and has a story of her own. In diversity, I saw a common zeal and strength. Each woman is strong and fast to match the fast-paced life in a city like Bangalore and with Metro helping us reach places faster.

      More power to Women and Namma Metro!
 

3 comments: