Wednesday 7 October 2015

A five year long journey comes to an end...


It was July,2010 when I started my journey at iGATE global solutions as a fresher. I remember the day so well, my parents accompanied on the first day, it was their first visit to the IT hub, they were proud,happy and excited. Their daughter was going to start her career. I was having mixed feelings, there was an excitement for the new beginning, there was fear of the unknown world, anxiety of how I am gonna fit in this software industry while being an electrical engineer.

I had few friends from my college who also had got placed in iGATE but they were put in different domain and hence their joining wasn't the same as mine. Among the one's joining with me from my college, I knew few of them but hadn't interacted much earlier, I felt lonely, had a feeling like small kid going to school for the very first time. So the day began and my parents waved me at the gate, wished me all the best and left.

I was to be trained in Java, the batch had students from various colleges, various places, and from all streams of engineering. So I had to compete with people who already knew what was going to be taught in the training. We had a beginner's test and I had failed. I felt so miserable, I almost gave up  and wanted to go back to my parents in native. But then I didn't want to be a failure, I didn't want to shatter my dreams. I had a friend from my college with whom I shared my PG, she was from computer science stream. She stood by me and filled in me the confidence that I can do it. With her support I was able to pick up in the course. The second test we had, I managed to secure the passing marks. The final test, I stood among the top five, scoring more than many from computer science stream. My happiness knew no bounds and I got the confidence I can survive in the IT industry.

The friend I mentioned is still one of my best friends. Got a friend for lifetime during the training ;-)

I was put into my first project, which had a manager, team lead, onsite coordinators, system analyst, few senior software engineers and then there was me software engineer. I was introduced to the team structure. Gained a great amount of knowledge from each of them which is gonna stay with me lifelong. All my team members were guys and I was the only girl. It was fun at work everyday, there was so much fun,excitement,flirting and learning too. Enjoyed every bit of it.

We had a group within the team, love for the English television show 'Friends' brought four of us together. We were two guys and two girls.The outings, having pizza, watching movie in office hours,lunch and tea with them in cafeteria are all so fresh in my mind. These were my most memorable days. I had a weight loss partner too in the group.

And after I came back from maternity we formed a mommies group. Its so much fun to share all little things about your little one's. We have so much in common to talk about. Everyday I wait for lunch and tea time so that I get to meet them.We share such a great bond. Its like a college girls group formed again after long long years.

Its time to move on for the betterment of self. I had a great time here in iGATE. Made lots of friends. I had such a level of comfort zone here. Being my first company, iGATE will always have a special place in my heart. I am gonna miss the cubicle where I have been sitting from last five years, I am gonna miss greetings from house keeping people, I am gonna miss my team, friends, colleagues, I am gonna miss the cafeteria, I am gonna miss being part of this organization. I carry so many memories which shall be cherished throughout my life.

2 comments: